Did the Apostle Paul invent positive thinking?
“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Philippians 4:8
Good advice at all times, but especially at times like this. There’s a bright side to every situation. Here are 14 to think on now. I’m sure there are more, so if you think of any, let me know:
- Maybe we won’t go to war with Iran. Maybe.
- Maybe we will get out of Afghanistan. Soon.
- Maybe the GOP will realize that its neocon bellicosity has cost it the respect and support of the American middle.
- Maybe Obamacare will prove so expensive and unworkable that it will become an embarrassment and have to be reformed.
- Maybe the economy will limp along for another few years without falling off a cliff.
- Maybe the economy will fall off a cliff, and Democrats will take the blame.
- The popular vote was close enough that better results next time are a good possibility.
- The Republican House will keep Democrats from exploiting their victory.
- Thirty states now have Republican governors. (States have to balance their budgets, after all.)
- Both the pleasures and the pains of this world are fleeting and won’t matter in the end.
- What will matter is that we spoke truth to power, and we’ll have more opportunities to do that now.
- There’s always the next life for those who believe.
- Maybe we won’t live long enough to see the worst happen.
- The worst that can happen already has, and it was followed by the Resurrection.